Thursday, February 3, 2011

Nerd Wars Begins

On Ravelry.com, my favourite online yarn crafting community, there’s a special group for just about every interest. I happen to be a big science fiction nerd, so when it was announced in the Big Bang Gang forum (a group for lovers of the hit TV show, The Big Bang Theory) that there was going to be a big yarn craft competition for nerds from all nerdy fandoms, I signed right up for Team Bazinga.

Nerd Wars lasts three months and participants are eligible to submit to any and all of six different challenges offered each month. Each challenge has a category to which it belongs and entrants earn points for their team by completing projects that fit the challenge. The first Challenges were launched on Feb. 1 and I’ve just completed my first entry.

The challenge was for the Technical category, and called A BONDING EXPERIENCE.

“Chemical bonds come in many flavors (see the Wikipedia article for more information). An ionic bond is formed by the attraction between two oppositely charged ions, where one is a metal and the other is a nonmetal (these can be polyatomic). The resulting compounds, which include things like table salt (NaCl), have all sorts of useful properties.

Your challenge is to demonstrate the fiber equivalent of ionic bonding, using different types of fiber. Working with different fibers generally requires different techniques or tools to produce a finished object with the hoped-for properties. Therefore, in addition to presenting your finished object, you should discuss the technical aspect (fiber preparation, needle choice, etc.) of working with different fibers. Pre-blended fibers/yarns count as polyatomic ions and therefore can be one half of the ionic bond."

I think a lot of competitors are stranding different fibres together but I wanted to do something unexpected. I realize that knitting with wire isn’t all that new, but in this group, it won’t be an expected technique. I just hope it qualifies for points!

PennyBlossomBrace

I used florists paddle wire, because it’s all I could get on short notice and I didn’t have anything finer handy. It was knit on 5mm needles with Swarovski crystals and features Patons Soy Wool Solids in Berry, crocheted down the centre and with a little “Penny Blossom” in the middle, accented with crystals. The Penny Blossom comes from Season 2, Episode 18: The Work Song Nanocluster, in which Penny is making hair accessories with artificial flowers and rhinestones to supplement her income. the boys try to help her and hilarity ensues. By now Penny is over the whole nightmare and would enjoy this pretty little bracelet.

I have some other, more traditional fibre projects lined up for the other challenges for this month. Cross your fingers for me that I’ll be able to complete them all in time!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Danette and I'm currently living in MA. I came upon one of your video tutorials while looking for a beginners crochet tutorial! I am an avid knitter, who started w/ Crocheting in college (I am self-taught w/ both). I am a little ashamed to say that once I learned to knit I dropped Crochet like a hot-potato and never looked back : ( !! But years later now I have a new-found love for Crochet, but needed a refresherj to pick it back up.

    I actually 1st found your tutorial on starting an Amigurumi project & the "double ring". I also recently found Amigurumi and fell in love with everything about it!!!

    Could you please tell me what type/brand of Crochet hook you are using in that tutorial? It looks so comfortable and so easy to manipulate!!

    Sorry for such a long comment!!! Thanks for your time and I look forward to watching all your other tutorials and reading your blog!!
    Take care, Danette
    P.S. I too love Big Bang Theory!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Danette! Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you like the videos. I've become an avid knitter too, though I still love to crochet quick projects for gifts and whatnot. The hooks I now use all the time and in my latest vids are called Crochet Lite. I bought mine at my local Walmart but can't get them there anymore (I waited until they were blowing them out at $5 a pop, not realizing they were discontinuing the stock here.) I know they're available online through several different craft supply chains, including through Amazon.com. You can find them here in my Amazon store, in fact, for about $5.99 each, which is almost half as much as they were in my Walmart, full price. I rave about these hooks to anyone who crochets a lot. I have some pretty serious repetetive strain injury in my hand/wrist from crocheting and jewelry making, and with these hooks, I can crochet pain-free for much, much longer at a sitting. They also light up, though I don't tend to use that feature much. I hope you find them at a good price and get yourself a set. Your hands will thank you in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite impressive on the amazon and the product itself, I found this one already just forgot the site.

    ReplyDelete