Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jan the Mad Hatter!

Now that summer is officially here and many of us are hiding from the heat, I'm reminded of my husband's tip, “Imagine that it's -30° Celsius out there and you’re lucky enough to be warm.”

I mentioned on Twitter a while back that I had spent a couple of weeks crocheting winter hats. It seems like a good time to start showing them off. Here’s the first instalment.

I found this great Boy Beanie pattern at allfreecrafts.com. It’s is a free crochet pattern by Laura Killoran that was originally published in Stitch N Bitch Crochet - The Happy Hooker, March 2006. I made a couple of these for nephews last Christmas and it is such an easy and quick pattern that I couldn’t resist making more.


The first one is in a steely blue-grey acrylic I’ve had sitting around for years. I want to say it’s Red Heart Super Saver but I can’t be sure and there’s no label anymore. The second is Red Heart Comfort and my kids are really into Pokémon, so this was a no-brainer. The third was an experiment in combining novelty yarn with this pattern. I am not sure I like it yet. I recommend you double-strand the novelty yarn when trying this, to make it fluffier. The fourth hat is for my brother-in-law, a huge Edmonton Eskimos fan. More Red Heart here (it's one of only two brands I can buy locally). The yellow I used for the ‘gold’ is actually the same yarn as the Pokémon hat, but I had to adjust the lighting in the picture to show off that gorgeous green.

Do you have a crochet pattern that you remake over and over just because it’s fast or easy or just pretty? Tell me about it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Jan


----------------
Now playing: Bedouin Soundclash - When The Night Feels My Song
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding, the novelty yarn hat is so great!! My eye went there immediately, it's a keeper!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisa. That hat is a keeper!
    I have a crochet pattern for a small lace tablecloth and I love to make it over and over, in different colors. It's easy, but it looks great. I use it for wrapping up gifts or as decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kokopelli! WHat a great idea, using them as giftwrap! I've never tried a tablecloth before!

    ReplyDelete