Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day!

I've been thinking about which green craft project I could talk about today, since it's Earth Day. I've been seeing a lot of really great recycle and upcycle related projects this month, so I'm showing you my favourite one yet.

A couple of weeks ago, my google reader caught a really great idea from the clever peeps at Dollar Store Crafts about making beads from recycled soda bottles. The instructions are there, and I have to say I liked the results I got with my hot hair dryer better than a pot of boiling water. I know those bottles are worth a few cents at the local depot, but wouldn't you rather make some long-lasting jewelery from them instead? Or maybe you'll make some great stitch markers for the avid knitter in your life!

See these in my deviantART gallery

How to:

Cut a 4 inch length of craft wire. Make a large wrapped loop using a large pen, or a larger peg if you're using a wire jig. Add your soda bottle bead and any others you want to go with it, then finish it off with another, smaller wrapped loop. Voila! Make a whole matching set and give them to your best knitter friend, or keep them to use yourself!

Today is a good day to destash your recycleables to make beads like this, or crochet your plastic shopping bags (or even fuse them, what the hey!). Do something nice for Mother Earth today.

Thanks for stopping by! ~ Jan

----------------
Now playing: Leonard Nimoy - Both Sides Now
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

  1. WOW. That's brilliant! O_O What a fabulous project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! After looking at the tutorial, I think your beads turned out beautifully!! Wow, so glad I saw this, I need to try it. I am working on shrinky-dink jewelry this weekend. Thanks a bunch! Lisa C., www.abeadaday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link to the soda bottle bead instructions - I'd have never thought to look at the Dollar Store site for crafts.

    Welcome to the Beadosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the link has no pics! could you describe the process in words? i really would like to do this. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anonymous. Sometime in the new year I'll make some more of these and document the process. It never occurred to me that the site of origin, Threadbanger.com, would remove/lose pics from older posts.

    ReplyDelete