Friday, April 24, 2009

Crumpet Failure

I'm a bread eater. I mean, of all the bread products I've ever had I don't think I met one I didn't like. Breakfast breads are a particular favourite, especially crumpets. I so love them that I searched for a decent-looking recipe for homemade crumpets, to ensure I'd never have to go without, even when my local grocery store doesn't have them (which is often). Enter Mr. Breakfast.

Mr. Breakfast tempted me with "Jeffery's" oh-so-easy recipe for
Crumpets, but I'm sad to say that it let me down. Maybe it's because here in Western Canada, we get such great quality all-purpose flour (no sifting required here in the Great White North), our baked things are more glutinous. Maybe it's the altitude, because I live in the foothills of the Rockies. Maybe I'm just not a great cook.
I made the batter according to the directions and noted that 'batter' doesn't really accurately describe it. It looked more like bread dough. After the 45 minute resting period, I added the baking soda dissolved in water, and it looked like wet bread dough.



Not one to panic, I let it rise another 25 minutes and began cooking it on my greased skillet. It wouldn't portion out nicely because it was elastic and doughy, but that was ok. It cooked and although there were none of the signature holes expected of decent crumpets (I mean seriously, where's the butter going to go?), they looked tasty enough. Two pans later, I still wasn't satisfied, so I added water to the remaining batter and ladled out the last pan, which looked a lot like the first two, only flatter.

Failure.



You can see how desperate that flat one on top is to look more hole-y. I haven't tried toasting and eating these yet, but let's just say I'm not recommending this recipe. I'll keep looking. In the meantime I'm not throwing this recipe out just yet, either. Next time I try it, I'm going to try reducing the yeast and flour, and increasing the milk and water. I'll let you know how it goes.

And if any of you have or find a recipe for homemade crumpets that you know works, please feel free to share it with me! Comment below or email me at WireMySoul@gmail.com.

Thanks for stopping by! ~Jan

----------------
Now playing:
Sisters of Mercy - Dominion / Mother Russia
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment